APPENDIX II-AA: Blood Brain Barrier-Steenis.
Dr. Dick van Steenis MBBS
MCS CONFERENCE, LONDON, 2&3 September 2003
"DOCTORS LIE OVER COCKTAILS"
Since the switch to heavy oils in the
poisons unit doctors, public health doctors. Medical
Research Council, health charities (part funded) and "friends of the
earth" have misled the public and corrupt Environment Agency to the
financial benefit of pharmaceutical, power, oil, cement & waste companies.
Cocktail effects aggravated by OP pesticides
and certain vaccines have occurred leading to damaged body defences
and immune system. Plans have been announced to impose a further 165 huge
incinerators by diklat in the
The toll of industrial pollution has amounted to some 140000 unnecessary deaths annually plus illnesses comprising as much as 40% of the "NHS bill. Wasting almost 20% of the NHS budget on “managers" has not cured the causes. The range of immune system malfunction related diseases includes autism, ME, SLE, multiple chemical sensitivity, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, gulf war syndrome, celiac disease, polymyalgia rheumatica & fibromyalgia. An association has been documented with endometriosis, allergies & hypothyroidisro. The inflammatory process often reveals itself in one organ then spreads later. Key protective items damaged by pollutants include the blood-brain barrier, p53 gene, P450 liver cytochrome, depletion of T-lymphocyte numbers and the blood-bowel barrier, if the
CD26 lymphocyte-activation marker is increased, chronic lymphocytic infiltrates in subrnucosal tissue follow. However, polymorph cells are increased following exposure to volatile organic compounds, and increased lgE follows exposure to emissions from use of dirtier oils. A weakened immune system is ready prey to weaponised military or ordinary viruses/bacteria. Unbalanced non-organic diets, nuclear radiation and some antibiotic-related overgrowths weaken bowel wall integrity which can lead to leakage of antigens into the blood stream resulting in
haptens then auto-antibodies. The cocktail effect thrives,
worst in the killing zones.
GULF WAR SYNDROME CASE STUDY.
Victims who started off as fit & young, have been damaged by a selection of the following assaults ---
1. PM2.5 particulate inhalation from the oil fires 1991 and PMI depleted
uranium inhalation 1991 and 2003. 40% of DU (U238) used in
shells/missiles vaporises to PMI size with remainder
staying on site as residue. Effects of PMIs of DU
inhaled were listed in the 30 October 1943 report to Brig.Gen.LR
Groves (USA) and May 2001 report of Dr. D. Rok-ke
(Nexus June/July 2003) proving results include asthma, damage to nerves, eyes,
gums, kidneys, neuropsychological state, and causing skin rashes, lymphomas,
cancers, uranium in semen and birth defects in progeny. Some 390 tons of DU was
used in the 1991 war, and subsequently in
plants (70000Bq/kg) and Sellafield,
2. Multiple vaccines given within too short a period. It takes 10 days to produce a template for antibody production. 4 vaccines within a 10 day period in 2003 contained thiomersal, opening blood/brain barrier & harming immune system.
3. OP pesticide spray potentiated by sarin exposure opened blood brain barrier causing asthma, depression, nerve, brain cell and immune system damage thus) leading to multiple chemical sensitivity. Copper is depleted too. Inquest of a Porton Down sarin victim is still refused.
4. Pyridostigmine & DEET insect repellent & synthetic pyrethroids cause further damage to enzymes. (See reports by Prof. Abou-Donia, ongoing).
5. Bits of HIV inserted into mycoplasma produced by UK/USA given
References for the above accompany my two 2002 peer-renewed published reports.
THE AUTISM & MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS PROCESS.
Thiomersal in DTP (25 ug.mercury per dose), DT, Tetanus, Hepatitis B & (most) influenza vaccines, content of some fish, and emissions from industrial chimneys including incinerators, waste-burning cement works & crematoria have led to an ever higher body burden of mercury at a younger and younger age. A relative shortage of zinc in the diet precludes the formation of metailothionme hence preventing the mercury' being excreted via the urine, Mercury opens up the blood/brain and
blood/bowel barriers, hypes the immune system and acts on
processes in a harmful way. The process is compounded by a
herbicide and exposure to lead. Levels of mercury inhaled at
that autoimmune reactions can occur with raised lgG affecting neurofilaments and myelin basic protein. These antibodies correlate with sensorimotor deficits and neuromuscular function. Neurotoxicants have been demonstrated in 90% of autistic children resulting from autoantibodies produced by haptens formed by the mercury or other toxin attaching to brain proteins potentiated by the opened blood-brain barrier.
OP pesticides also open up the blood/brain barrier. Vojdani has detected antibodies to 9 different neuron-specific antigens in the sera of autistic children. ELISA essays determined serum IgA, lgM and lgG levels against the antigens.
2. LOW T-LYMPHOCYTE LEVELS from HIGH PM2.5 AIR POLLUTION.
Use of hazardous (effectively waste) mixes as fuel in the UK since 1992 in incinerators, cement works, trains, oil refineries and other industry has vastly increased PM2.5 air pollution, recently measured at 600ug/m3 in the UK (USEPA annual limit 15ug/m3). 90% of those particles size PMI are retained in the lung and are dealt with by macrophages and T-lymphocytes. The depletion of the T-lymphocytes leaves the victim vulnerable to infections and bad reactions to multiple live vaccines such as MMR. Studies have already revealed a marked drop in T-lymphocytes in many recipients of Tetanus and MMR vaccines. Hence a study near a
Belgian incinerator complying with EC directives found almost 90% of boys aged 2 to 9 years suffering from assorted illnesses. Infections such as otitis would be treated with antibiotics, many of which lead to alteration in bowel flora including candida or clostridium or new infections including streptococcus, mycopiasma or HHV-6 can be acquired or MMR-measles virus would start up a bowel wall inflammation if the level of T-lymphocytes was inadequate to cope with the viral load injected.
3. BOWEL WALL INFLAMMATION and SHORT CHAIN PEPTIDES.
Antibiotics may alter bowel flora, for example inducing Candida overgrowth (unless probiotics or nystation are given). Low T-lymphocyte levels may allow the development of new predominant bowel bacteria or viruses. A low grade bowel wall inflammation results, reducing production of secretin, leading to reduction in
pancreatic proteinase enzymes, resulting in inadequate digestion of especially milk butyrophilin and other short chain peptides are then absorbed from the inflamed bowel wall into the blood becoming antigens and opiate like agents. Auto-antibodies are then carried into the brain along with the relevant virus/bacteria enabled by that opened blood/brain barrier, cross-reacting with brain proteins. MMR administration produces increased cytokine interferon-gamma. With inadequate T-lymphocytes and/or inadequate vitamin A, an over action of interferon gamma occurs found at 30 times controls in autistic children. If the child receiving MMR still has a high rubella antibody titre from the mother, an added immunological inflammatory response occurs. Development of autism takes time due to the need for adequate build-up of auto-antibodies in the brain to cause clinical effects. Lower levels account for less acute syndromes. This process is identical for autism, multiple sclerosis and Gillian Barre Syndrome with different viruses and peptide chains. The coeliac disease process is also similar except that it involves bowel only rather than the brain.
TREATMENT OPTIONS medically include detox following analysis of toxins and preferably ELISA findings where available. In most cases zinc administration is required for at least 6 weeks. Other medicaments such as coenzyme QIO (to assist mitochondria of brain cells, assist immune system to deal with Candida, and to act as anti-inflammatory antihistamine), glyconutrients (xylitol being the most active ingredient), and vitamin B6 (to prevent pentosidine formation which is involved in various conditions including Alzheimers) amongst others have been used in treating autistic children with varying success. These findings explain the processes involved and concur with patient experience. The diet must be modified and enzymes added in the worst victims.
COPYRIGHT Dr. Dick van Steenis MBBS Updated
1. Buttram HSE & Yazbak FE. I July 2061. Shaken Baby Vaccine-Induced Encephalitis The Story of Baby Alan. The Journal of Degenerative Diseases. Vol.3 Number 1.
2. Hughes G. January 2001 Autoimmune induced sticky blood as risk factor for DVT. Personal Communication.
3. Buttram HE. 6 February- 2001. Vaccine Scene 2001: Update and Overview. http://www.freeyurko.bizland.com/vacscene.html
4. Nicolson GL 21 Nov. 1999 Radio Interview concerning CFS. http://www.whale.to/v/nicolson .html
5. Joseph PM. 1999. New Hypotheses for MTBE Combustion Products www.geocities.com/noxot/toxFN.htm
6. West J 2000. MTBE/Ozone Levels (re NY). http://www.geocities.com/noxot/declogs02.htm
7. West J, Crowe D, Gannett L. 2001. WNV/MTBE & Sparrows. www.geocities.com/noxoit/wnvDBcty.htm
8. West J 2001. Oil refineries and Arborvirus Epidemics. www.geocities.com/noxot/.refineries.htm
9. West J 9Aog.2001 New Jersey Ozone/WNV www.geocities.com/noxot/year2001/ozWNVgraphs2001.htm
10. Donohoe M I December 2001. CFS Conference
11. Laurance J
12. Scott DW. August 2002. Mycoplasma- The Linking Pathogen m Neurosystemic Diseases. Nexus Mag.
13. West J. 2001. Viruses & Toxicology (References). www.geocities.com/noxot/toxvirFN.htm
14. Humphrey JH 4 March 1944 Nerve Palsies with Herpes Following General anesthesia. BMJ.
16 Eibi Metal 1984 Abnormal T-lymphocyte subpopulations in healthy subjects after tetanus booster immunization. New Eng Joum. Med. 1984;310(3): 198-199
17. Nouno S et al. August 1990. Adverse Effects on EEG and Clinical Condition after Immunising Children with Convulsive Disorders. Acta Paediatr. Japan 1990;32(4).357-360
18. Pabst HF. 1997. Kinetics of Immunologic Responses after Primary MMR Vaccuiation. Vaccine 15(1)10-14
19. Kaplan S,
20. Montinari MG et al. 1996. Diagnostica role of immunogenetics in post-vaccine diseases of the central nervous system. Mediterranean J Surg & Med 2;69-72 www.freeyurko.bizland.coin/vacsene.html
21. Bell G 22 July 2002 Raised lead, antimony& aluminum in Scottish autistic children. The Herald.
22; Bas Ain't V, Ruitenbeig A, Hofman A, Launer LJ, vanDuijn CM, Stijnen T, Breteler MMB, & Stricter BHC 22/11/01 Noasteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs & risk of AIzheimer's Disease. N Engl J Med. 345:21;1515/21
JA, Nawrot T, Den Hond E, Thijs L, Fagard R, Hoppenbrouwer K, Koppen G, Nelen V, Schoeters G, Vaade!rschueren D, Van Hecke E, Verschaeve L,Vlietinck R& Roels HA.
24. Crinnion WJ 2000 Long-Term Effects of Chronic Low-Dose Mercury Exposure. Alternative Medicine Review. Vol.5;No.3:209-223 (103 references)
25. Nakatsuru S, Oohashi J, Nozaki H et al. 1985. Effect of mercurials on lymphocyte functions in vitro. Toxicology 1985;36:297-30
26. Meggs WJ 1994. Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and the Immune System. Tox. Indust. Health 8:203-214
27. Vojdani A 1999. Multiplex PCR for the Detection of Mycoplasma fermentans, M. hominis, &. M. penetrans in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia Rheumatoid Arthritis, & Gulf War Syndrome. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Advance in Epidemiologic, Clinical & Basic Science Research. Haworth Press, pi 87-197
28. Vojdani A 2000. A Single Blood Test for Detection of Food Allergy, Candidiasis, Microflora Imbalance, Intestinal Barrier Dysfunction, Humoral lmmunodeficiencies.www.immuno-sci-lab.com/asinglebloodtest.html
29. Vojdani A, Campbell A, Anyanwu E, Kashanian A, Bock K, Vojdani E 2002. Antibodies to Neuron-Specific Antigens in Children with AUTISM: Possible Crossreaction with Encephalitogenic Proteins from Milk, Chlamydia pneumoniae & Streptococcus group A. Journal of Immunology 30 (2002) 168-177 www.immuno-sci-lab/com
270. Singh VK Sen. 2002 Abnormal Measles Serology & Autoimmunity in Autistic Children. Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology Jan.2002, part2: Vol 109:No.l/702
31.BradstreetJJ 15 June 2001. Response to the National Academy of Science, Institute of Medicine request for Original Research on Thiomersal Safety. Dan Barton, US House of Representatives, Committee Chairman.
32. el-Fawal HA, Gong Z, Little AR, Evans HL. 1996. Exposure to methyl mercury results in serum auto-antibodies to neurotypic and gliolypic proteins. Neurotoxicology. Spring 1996, 17(1)267-276
33. Vojdani A 3 November 2002. Lecture on autism process lab. tests. AAEM Conference, Hot Springs.
34. Hassen et al. 5 Oct. 1999. Neuroimmunotoxicology: Humoral Assessment of Neuroimmunotoxicology & Autoimmune Mechamisms. Env. Health Persp. Vol. 107 Sup. 5 0ct. 1999. (Exposure to Hg or Pb induces formation of auto-antibodies to MBP, NFP & GAFP, increases BBB permeability, interferes with myelination & has direct neurotoxic effects plus 174 references).
35. Alberti A, Pirrone P, Elia M, Waring RH & Romano C. 1999. Sulpharion deficit in "low-functioning" autistic children: a pilot study. Biological Psychiatry 1999,46:420-424. (10 fold urine sulphur loss).
36. Breitkreutz R, Holm S, Pittack N, Beichert M, Babylon A, Yodoi J & Droge W. 2000. Massive kloss of sulphur in HIV infection. AIDS research & Human Retrovirus Vol. 16, no.3, pp 203-209.
37. Yonk LJ, Warren KP, Burger RA, Cote P, Odell JD, Warren WL, White E, & Singh VK 1990 CD4 helper -T cell depletion in autism. Immunology Letters 25, 344-346
38. Wakefield AJ, Murch SH, Anthony A, Linnell J, Casson DM, Malik M, Berelowitz M, Thomson MA, Harvey P, Valetine A, Davies SE & Walker-Smith JA 1998 lleal-Lymphoid-Nodular-Hyperplasia, Non-specific colitis
and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet 351, 637-641
39. Stefferl A, Schubart A, Storch M, Amini A, Mather I, Lassmann H & Linington C. 2000. Butrophilin a milk protein, modulates the encephalalitogenic T-cell response to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein in experimental auto-immune encephalomyelitis, J.lmmunol. 165, 2859-2865
40. Grogan JL, Kramer A, Nogai A, Dong L, Ohde M, Schneider-Mergener J & Kamrad T T. 1999. Cross-reactivity of myefin basic protein-specific T-cells with multiple microbial peptides: Experimental autommune
encephalomyelitis induction in TCR transgenic mice. J. Immunol. 163, 3764-3770
41. Menage P, Thibault G, Barthelemy C, Lelford G & Bardos P. 1992. CD4+ CD45RA+ T-lymphocytes deficiency in autistic children; Effect of a B6-Mg treatment. Brain Dysfunction 5, 326-333
42. Sanchez PJ, Laptook AR, Fisher L, Sumner J, Risser
RC, & Perlman JM. 1997. Apnea after Immunization
of preterm infants. J.Pediatr.l30(5):746-751